Thursday, March 24, 2016

Post-Offer Prep

Your Order Is In Progress, Part II: This is a short post that elaborates on my experiences with web design discussions and confirming orders.

After receiving the web design offer, I did not expect many other requests from the designer, since I thought we had already discussed the project in detail. However, even though we “filled out the requirements”, there were five highly suggested to-do items we had to prepare and send to our designer:

1.    Document with the list of all pages and content
2.   Logo/branding suggestions or files (in case branding is already done)
3.   Images related to your business (in good resolution)
4.   4-5 links of reference websites (your competitors)
5.    Primary terms you want to dominate on Google

All of these tasks have to be completed before the designer begins the actual project. The most time-consuming one was creating the document of the current website content and text. Copy-pasting has always been one of my favorite computer features, and it was definitely very helpful, but I still needed to open all of the embedded links on the site to copy onto my document, which took longer than I thought. Then I spell-checked the entire document and added section headings to designate website pages and important links. When I finished this task, I attached the document to our order conversation. I’m so glad I’m finally done with it.

In my previous post, I mentioned a user login on the website, through which registered customers will be able to access private information, including TPN 2000 training videos and user manual (the latter of which Ms. Vaidya has already sent). I am currently working on uploading tutorial/demo videos to YouTube and sending these links.

It’s been a busy week, and I will continue to work on these tasks over the weekend, so the site can be designed sooner than later.

Have a great Easter weekend!
Mia Lu

8 comments:

  1. Great work this week, Mia! You've certainly tackled a lot.

    What is the time frame for completion once you've submitted these materials? Will you be providing the designer with suggestions along the way or will s/he create a final product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our designer gave us an expected delivery date for April 5, two weeks from when we ordered it. I'm pretty sure she will create the website and transfer it over to our server when she's finished. Hopefully if she has questions she will contact us and we can give her suggestions and other requests. But otherwise, it's kind of all in her hands.

      Delete
  2. So now that you've been working with social media so much, are you more interested in setting up your own social media accounts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That question has been on my mind for awhile throughout this research project.

      I definitely appreciate the social engagement people zone in on when they use social media. I think for many people it's a great way to express themselves and share their viewpoints/start campaigns. I'd be kidding myself if I say it's not tempting to join the crowd. However, to be honest, I really do not want to become obsessed with it, and to be constantly looking for others' posts, I would probably spend too much time on social media sites.

      So, to answer your question, I don't want to be out of the loop, so I'll probably set up an active Facebook account before we graduate and pace myself whilst using it. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a tough week. Good luck with everything, and hope you had a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed that you have been pretty concentrated on improving the website. How are the other initiatives going? Have you had to simultaneously manage the other avenues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm continuing to post on Facebook/Twitter almost every day, but it's difficult to gauge results solely based on those. After finishing the website project, I plan on doing research on keyword strategy and SEO to get a better idea of the company's ultimate business plan.

      Delete